Monday, February 09, 2009

I've Finally Read the Lord of the Rings Trilogy

posted by John Blanco @ 6:54 AM

 

1,009 pages later, I am no longer in the dark about the LOTR trilogy. It took 32 years to get there. :-)

How would I review it. It was OK. Really, an overrated series. I'd rate Harry Potter as a better series, Bartimaeus Trilogy BY FAR a better series...and if you like LOTR, you should totally read Eragon.

But, the books were good, and since there's very little in the way of "mystery" in the books, the movies translate very well. So, I'm looking forward to finally seeing Return of the King now.

Of the three books, Return of the King was probably my favorite. With all books being one big book combined, you end up getting one entire book of climax. I read the final 120 pages yesterday as I was too caught up in things. However, the last 50-70 some odd pages coming after the climax was a bit annoying. Ruffians? What the heck, man? Also, Tolkien inserts several appendicies worth of background info on Middle-Earth.

Seriously...can you say skip it? I did.

For hard-core fantasy fiction readers who really like to feel like the story is real, though, Tokien did something amazing. It's so historically specific, you almost forget what you're reading isn't real. However, if you're not that kind of reader, the books are about twice as long as they need to be. To each his own.

But, now I'm done! It took about 6 weeks to read The Hobbit and all three LOTR ring books. Done!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home