Tuesday, September 21, 2004

How bad is LaunchCast? Let me tell you.

posted by John Blanco @ 9:15 AM

 

I stumbled onto LaunchCast this weekend and, in my eyes, it went from "Totally Cool!" to "Fuck this!" in three days.

LaunchCast is an audio service online that actually has a pretty cool basis. You listen to an online radio stream, perhaps with "recommended" artists. As each song plays, you can rate the artist/album/song individually. Your ratings are supposed to effect the frequency of the song heard, not only in your own listening but in others as well. For example, if I list my favorite artist as PJ Harvey and I highly rate a song from Gorillaz, than PJ Harvey lovers on the station may start seeing a healthy dose of Gorillaz music.

That's the theory, anyway.

As it is, I sit there and vote certain artists as "Never play this crap again." Yet, 5 songs later, there they are. They never go away! Then there's the problem where you listen to a dedicated radio station. The station I listen to is "Marilyn Manson Fan Radio." One problem:

I hear Korn more than Marilyn.
I hear Metallica more than Marilyn.
I hear Tool more than Marilyn.

Kinda defeats the purpose, eh? :-) Nice job, LaunchCast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home