Friday, September 17, 2004

A Classic Game in History

posted by John Blanco @ 10:06 AM

 

Wonders of Math - The Game of Life

I thought I'd share someof what I've discovered while learning the foundations of game design. The link above is the game Life. Well, it's not really a game, but more a simulation. The rules are simple:

1) A cell is either live or dead.
2) For each increment of time, it will become alive if a certain number of cells around it are alive.
3) For each increment of time, it will die if it doesn't have enough living cells around it.

Pretty simple. The actual rules are on the Web page. I find it amazing. Just a tiny little concept and you have what amounts to a game that people dedicated months and years to! The challenge of the design lied in tweaking the parameters to keep things interesting. If the cells died too fast, boring. If the cells thrived too easily, overkill.

My creative juices are beginning to flow. Time to read more. I'll post anything interesting I come across.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home