Monday, September 27, 2004

For a day, I'm a gitty cell phone upgrader!

posted by John Blanco @ 7:26 AM

 

If you know me really well, you know I have a pretty short list of subtle pet peeves that goes like this:

1) I dislike hearing people shout out, "And can I get cheese on the Whopper?" at the speaker at a fast food drive-in. White trash-y.

2) I despise when people smack their packs of cigarettes to "Compact the tobacco."

3) I cry in utter disdain when people go ga-ga over upgrading their mobile phone so they can do some inane, unrealted task with it like have a funny background or add a Star Wars ring. :-(

But, today, I nix item #3, for if I'm going to launch my J2ME game company I'm going to need to be able to run games on my cell phone. :-) And, if I'm going to get a powerful enough phone to play games, it will obviously also support downloadable wallpapers, fancy ring tone, etc.

I'm looking at the Motorola V300. It supports MIDP 2.0, which I don't plan on using early on as it hasn't permeated the market enough, but Michele already has a MIDP 1.0 phone and I might as well be prepared for the future. Plus, I could run my Tetris game on it. ;)

The V300 is also suitably cheap, about $150. I may also be able to get a USB attachment as well to cut down on air time. All in all, it suits all my needs at the most minimal of cost. The exception would be to get the same phone as Michele, which is very cheap, but it would benefit me to get a totally different phone to her so I'd have two test targets in my own home. :-)

I'm also going to see if there's an attachment for Michele's phone that will let me install games without having to get her on t-zones. This has the extra benefit of allowing me to keep her phone for the future if she ever gets a new phone. Then, without her needing a service plan, I can use the phone as a game download target. Bonus! Three phones to test on!

It still kills me to spend $150 for a cell phone. But, oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home