Tuesday, September 18, 2007

How's Work?

posted by John Blanco @ 12:28 PM

 

Sorry it's been so long between blogging. My normal schedule of 4 years was changed and it's still taking some getting used to. That, and with a baby, and Michele I doing a lot of walking in the evenings...I just have less computer dawdling time. :-)

So how's the new job you ask?

The new company is an exciting one to work for? The developers are part of the design process, project management, requirements gathering...all of it. Not necessarily in that order. It's invigorating to have that sort of process. The right people are all doing the right things, and you end up with a little different hierarchy of a team than you might be used to in bigger companies where the "standard roles" are laid out and things just don't end up working right.

It's a great company.

Too bad I'm not part of it.

Yeah, it's sorta craptastic actually. Once the work day, today, is over I will have three days of vacation and when I get back it will be FOUR WEEKS where I have done N-O-T-H-I-N-G at the new company.

Wait, let me rephrase that. Four weeks where I will have been involved in about 6 short, preliminary meetings. The project I was brought on to do has been silent for over two weeks. The other project I was put on, a prototype to win a contract, has been silent almost a week. I am doing nothing at work.

I spend most of my days reviewing light training material for the trainer at work, and it takes up such a small amount of time I'm not really doing it anymore. I spent the rest of my time researching various topics of my own choosing. I've studied Cairngorm, animation, display trees, asset loading and lord knows what else. On some of these topics, I have gone from zero to sixty in know-how. They all absolutely benefit me as a Flex programmer.

It's just that none of them is actually work. If I was a little less self-motivated, I literally could have spent every single day walking around downtown, calling in to the small handful of meetings I've been involved in, and no one would even miss me.

*sigh*

Yeah, so, I barely know any of my co-workers still because of it and I have no real need to work in the office. Today, I emailed my development manager to say I am again absolutely out of tasks. For the second time in the 3.5 weeks I have been with the company, I got no answer. I rarely get any email of any importance either.

They pay me. That's a positive.

Today I am studying easing and springs in my animation book. It's all quite cool. I am reading this book as to benefit on my main gaming project. Whenever that starts. Who knows.

I'm so glad I'll be on vacation. Maybe when I get back I'll have *gasp* an assignment to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home