Saturday, April 22, 2006

Virtual Boy, You Are Mine!

posted by John Blanco @ 9:13 PM

 



One of my wishes for this year has been to put together a gaming display case of bunches of old retro video game systems. The idea is to display them for posterity, but I also want them to be playable just for fun. :-)

Well, I needed to get the display case first, just as a motivator...but tonight, something I didn't expect happened -- and I am super psyched!

Michele and had dinner with and went over to Mobat's place (along with Athena), and I got to play his Virtual Boy! This is the 1995-1996 system Nintendo put out...it's a "virtual reality" type system (not really, more true 3D-ish)...that failed miserably in the market.

Some of the reasons had to be that it supported only one color: red. Also, no one else can see you playing whilst you play, which isn't very fun. Alllso, it doesn't support two-player modes -- which is lame. And then, fnally, it can give you a headache.

All this adds up to failure.

But, it's monumentally cool, and I had to have it. So tonight, I went on eBay, and found the perfect deal, at the perfect time, and I just snagged one in very good condition, WITH AN ORIGINAL TRAVEL BAG, and 5 games for about $100 including shipping!

SWEET!

I am so stoked. My next purchase needs to be an original NES. I want to find one that was lightly used, so I can play a lot on it. I want to collect NES carts...and maybe one day catch up to Mobat who's room is a mecca to Nintendo. ;-)

But for now, I shall enjoy this glorious auction win. :-)


Yahoo! Mail - zablanc@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home