Thursday, April 20, 2006

Can you say Powerful?

posted by John Blanco @ 5:32 PM

 

On June 16th, our first day home from our road trip to Vegas, ground will be broken on the Columbine Memorial -- a dedication to those killed in the Columbine attacks of 7 years ago, today.

None other than Bill Clinton will give the keynote speech. Wow.

So, now I have to convince my sister, Pam, and my friend, Chris, that we need to go to this. It should be a beautiful event, and a fitting ceremony for what happened 7 years ago.

I'll never forget where I was. I was working downtown for a fun little company called InfoBeat -- now turned also-ran Internet site. (Sad.) Anyway, as part of our company, we had editors, writers, and people clued in to the news. We had TV's in the writers' room. It was a cool place.

And then one of those writers wrote an email that there was a shooting at Columbine High School. There were people at work who had kids and nieces and nephews there. It was pretty hectic. Slowly, over th enext few hours, as more details came out, we realized what had actually transpired. It was flooring.

Right in our backyard. A half-hour drive from where I was working. And now, a 5-minute drive from where I live in Littleton -- the very home of Columbine High School.

And I can't believe it's 7 years later. It's amazing to me. Luckily, this kind of violence hasn't repeated itself, though it happened a lot BEFORE Columbine.

Count me there, June 16th.

Clinton will keynote Columbine ceremony...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home