Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Now I Know Why I'm Not Catholic Anymore

posted by John Blanco @ 7:15 PM

 

Seems some Catholic Bishops took offense to Joe Biden's assertion that the definition of when life begins is an opinion:


Asked on the program about when life begins, Biden said: "Look, I know when it begins for me. It's a personal and private issue. For me, as a Roman Catholic, I am prepared to accept the teachings in my church."

He added that while he believes life begins "at the moment of conception," it would inappropriate to impose that view on others in a pluralistic society.

The bishops said Biden was right to say human life begins at conception. But the church "does not teach this as matter of faith; it acknowledges it as a matter of objective fact," they said.

"Protection of innocent human life is not an imposition of personal religious conviction but a demand of justice," they added.


Fuck that. I'm looking at my 17-month old son. I remember when he was 1. I remember when he was just born. I remember when he was kicking inside his mommy's belly. But, I don't really acknowledge when the sperm combined with the egg to form a super cell in mommy's uterus. I'm sorry, I just don't keep more than one ultrasound picture around, and that was many weeks after.

Life is one thing. Life begins after conception, of course. But, it's not a child. Give me a break.

1 Comments:

Blogger Arthur FItt said...

It's very hard to even have a discussion with "life begins at conception person".

Using that definition every man or women who has every used the birth control pill or any other hormone based system is a murderer. Don't forget IUD too. None of these birth control methods prevent conception.

The only forms of birth control that prevents conception are barriers and spermicide. Condoms, cervical barriers, foams and gels.

So the odds are most of the anti-abortion people are murderers by their own definition and refuse to admit it.

If they were willing to move their definition of life to implantation into a natural or artificial uterus we could begin to have a meaningful conversation. It is at that point at which life becomes a possibility. Prior to this point the odds of the zygote becoming a human are equal to the odds of a cell of hair becoming a baby. ZERO.

Giving DNA human rights makes no sense. Until the odds of something becoming human exceed 0% it isn't human.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home