Friday, June 02, 2006

Poor, Sweet, Naive Michele :-)

posted by John Blanco @ 10:52 PM

 

Forgive Michele...she's such a sweet and innocent thing. To her, the world is at peace, and no one decives.

Unfortunately, she'd be wrong.

Two years ago, Michele got us trapped in a Time-Share seminar. Yes, I told her something smelled fishy about the fact that we'd, "won a free trip to anywhere in the US, we just need to drive halfway across Colorado to get it."

Yeah, it killed the whole evening after a long, hard day of work. And we got a free dinner at Red Lobster out of it...and hopefully a lesson learned.

Well, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice? Shame on me.

Michele IM'ed me today to say that she got a very "fortunate" call. An old friend from her high school had called -- one she had talked to this past weekend during a reunion -- and had a business opportunity for her!

"Doing what," I asked.

"I don't know. He didn't have time to talk," Michele replied.

"What does that mean," I inquired.

"He's coming over at 8 PM, he didn't have a chance to say what the opportunity was, he had to put his kid to bed," she answered.

Well, that's certainly a strange scenario! In this age of $3/gallon gas, why wouldn't someone just give a quick blurb of the job to gauge interest...and drive all the way down to podunk Littleton to present it?

My theory, as I told my friend Dorrie, was that they were coming to our house (he and his wife) to MURDER us.

I wasn't far off.

They arrived a little past 8. Michele and I were putting the finishing touches on our Mix CD's for tomorrow's Adventure Club finale. I tried to avoid being pulled in to the discussion as I didn't see why I had to be.

I figure if they try to murder Michele, I'll be safe for long enough to call for backup.

But, after 15 minutes of "You have a great house" sweet talking, I got pulled in. Crap.

And for the next 15 minutes, this guy, Nat, asked over and over what Michele was looking for and how much money she was looking to make and what the value was of having our kids raised at home instead of a day care and blah blah blah...

DUDE, what is the opportunity?! He just wouldn't say.

Finally, I told him, "Nat, I don't want to be rude or anything, but we have things to do and you need to start explaining what it is you need."

He continued, asking how financially sound we were. Why we valued the money. And why were day cares so bad?

And then he asked, "Without this opportunity, would you be financially stable?"

I sternly told him "Yes" and he got the hint. There was nothing more he could say. And I told him it was great meeting him and went upstairs.

Unfortunately, Michele still was waiting to find out what job he had to offer her. She pressed further, while I went upstairs, loaded up dictionary.com on Michele's computer, entered in the word "gullible," and left it for Michele to find later. :-)

And 15 minutes later, they left and she came upstairs. They never did say what it is they had for us. My guess...Amway.

Frickin' people.

But, at least we didn't lose an evening to the con job. Fool me twice, shame on me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

Nice, Boo Boo....real nice!!!!!:P

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know they'd been commented by a former govt. official from Nigeria. They probably just needed $10k to get the rest of the millions over to the US. You fool! You missed out!

Either that or they're organizing a ring of meth labs. Invest in the drug market! It's not going anywhere.

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home