Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Chess Avatara: Latest Screenshots

posted by John Blanco @ 7:34 PM

 







Above, you will see a lot of progress in Chess Avatara since the last screenshots you've seen. Granted, this is not all progress in the last few days...this is a few weeks of work.

First, you'll see the working title page. This is a lot splashier than what I originally had, which was just the username/password controls. As always, none of this is final, but it's nice to have something to look at whilst I code. :-) I like the castle theme more and more as I look at it. I'm also very proud, cause I drew that "abstract" castle by hand.

This is definitely the kind of artwork I like...strokes. Not hyper-realistic, but Flash-realistic.

The second screenshot showcases two of the major features I've added recently: pieces lost and the timer. Those clocks are REAL now. They actually tick down. The only thing not included in that timer functionality is the ability to flag your opponent. That will come next...possibly tomorrow.

The pieces lost is also REAL. It will show you the pieces you've lost from your orgiinal set. It's super handy when you want to make a board assessment. Don't depend on the pieces in a real OTB match though...Mr. Blanco has been known to hide a pawn in his hand for deception. ;-)

The last screenshot is older stuff, but it's here for the sake of completeness. Checks and checkmates and draws are announced via video and audio. You can't see the audio, so trust me on that one.

...

Overall, none of the graphics are guaranteed to be there on launch day, but pretty much all of them serve as GREAT placeholders. Michele designed the pieces and I think did an excellent job. You can be sure that the chess set will be there...along with many others!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home