Sunday, December 04, 2005

Looking Back on my 2005 New Year's Resolutions...and the Year That Was.

posted by John Blanco @ 6:38 PM

 

A year ago, I posted my 2005 New Year's Resolutions. Now, a year later, I look back on them, as well as the year in general.

1) Become a dad.

Of all the resolutions, this was the most out of my control. (For the most part, anyway...wink, wink) Unfortunately, nothing to report so far. Michele and I are still trying though. And heck, we still got a month left, no?

2) Read and Understand "Head First Design Patterns" inside and out.

Done and done. This happened quickly...I finished the thing in a week! I learned a lot and have tried to apply them as much as possible. Some patterns came easily, others I haven't had the chance to work out in practice. But my mind is thinking the right way...and this is a good thing.

3) Start and Complete the Taliant Phlasher's Notes.

Amazingly, I did in fact do this! There's no official document, but check out the next resolution. I maintain on my machine at work a UML document of common tasks and their API. This is a great way to manage this kind of reference, and I didn't forsee it last year. My notes have scored me loads of saved time...and I hope to reinforce these notes even more this year!

4) Master UML.

Well, I didn't master UML...but, it turned out to be impossible. What I did, however, is learn Class Diagrams and Sequence Diagrams very, very well and I actually draw them in sketch. The days of learning and forgetting over and over seem done...and UMl is now in my brain. :-)

Will I ever master it? I guess I'd have to be at the right company. We just don't use it officially at InsureWorx, but I do use it personally...at work AND with my personal projects. :-)

5) Earn a promotion at work.

Yes. :-) A few months in to the year, I was promoted to Senior Software Engineer and given a raise. :-) I'm actually still underpaid, so hopefully another raise will come this year?

Also, when the new teams were formed, I was given a spot on the Base team, which is an ideal position at any company. Directing the technology is a big responsibility. While the team hasn't been as revolutionary as I'd hoped...it's still pretty sweet.

I look forward to a possible techonology change this year (JSF?) and hopefully another promotion or raise.

6) Complete at least one serious game project as part of a Bite Size Studios launch. (Counterpart not included)

This was half done. :-) First of all, Bite Size Studios is dead. Combine a graphics artist who fell off the face of the Earth (Al) and a slacker sound designed (Sam) and you get a dismantled project. As I was the only one doing any kind of work, I decided to just do it all myself.

Counterpart was completed and shipped. It sold 0 copies. The cell phone market is not what I expected. People want some flare, they merely want to show off their phone to their friend...no one wants any kind of serious game. Oh, well.

But, a new, and definitely large-scale project did start...Chess Avatara. It wasn't BSS, but ya can't forsee that...the key is that I'm working on a large project and it is fun and good. :-) It's killed me emotionally at times, but I know that when it comes time to call it gold, it will be a satisfying thing and a great memory in my life!

7) Learn Pixel Art.

Done. I actually used some of my new skillz to design my cool Democrats logo in Mario Kart DS. :-) Counterpart also got some snazzy graphics, for a beginner anyway, and hopefully Chess Avatara will see the same once I start working on them.

8) Give a smiling "Hello," to a stranger (walking down a hallway, on the street, etc.) at least once a day.

I actually did this. What I learned is not everyone had this same thing on their list. :-) And note to self...don't tell jokes to Target employees. Michele saw the carnage first-hand today...the guy didn't make a sound.

9) Engage in one conversation per week with a stranger or unfamiliar co-worker in the office.

As above, I did this...but it didn't always work out. :-) The good news is that I now talk to my co-worker sitting in the cube in front of me. Of course, the old guy left...but the new guy is quite talkative.

10) Perform at least 5 acts of charity.

DONE! It all came in the form of monetary donations, but you'll be seeing on my 2006 Resoutions that more activities will take their place. Here's the 2005 list:

* Donation to Cindy Sheehan and the Crawford Peace House.
* Donation to the Democratic National Committee.
* Donation to UNICEF for Tsunami Relief efforts.
* Donation to the Red Cross for Katrina Relief efforts.
* Donation to the homeless shelters of Colorado.

11) Reach the 175 pound mark.

Close! I'm at the 180 mark. My diet took me down 18 pounds and is quite easy to maintain. :-)

12) Declare a "faith." (Deist, Agnostic, Atheist, etc.)

I believe I'm Deist -- but I still don't know -- so I guess I'm agnostic. While I don't *believe* in a God, I am definitely believing that *something* started life...and that *something* did not create humans.

And this God who created life is not around to help us -- so stop praying for a new video game this year, would ya please? :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home