Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Jack-off WCBS (NY) Lays-off Cousin Brucie??

posted by John Blanco @ 6:55 AM

 

OK, give me a minute to harken back to the halcyon days of my youth when working for my parents' businesses, in New York, was all life was...with some school. :-)

My parents owned two businesses that I worked for: 21st Century Dry Cleaners and Veronica's Deli. In each of these shops, my mom had WCBS playing the whole day. (At the deli, baseball games trumped the radio, so we could hear the Mets lose whilst we worked.)

The lead guy on WCBS was a man dubbed "Cousin Brucie," who played nothing but oldies (as did the rest of the station) all day long. He was a DJ there for decades.

Well, last week, idiot WCBS fired Cousin Brucie, and the whole crew, and replaced the format with the Jack FM format -- something we recently got here as well.

Think: 2,000+ song jukebox, no DJ's, random format.

Very sad...is the radio industry dying? First, we have the hiijacking of the airwaves to lying, Conservative blowhards. Then, we have Clear Channel sucking up radio stations and blasting the airwaves with suckitudge. Then, we're losing the better DJ's to privatized XM/Sirius (which I think is cool, anyway). Now...we get an automated radio station. How personal.

It seems to me that the radio industry is fighting their own fate by expediating the very thing they're frightened of. Though, my guess is that the Jack FM format doesn't necessarily represent "the radio industry."

Right now, I don't listen to any FM here in Littleton, CO. When I'm desperate, I check out Alice or KTCL, but rarely do I hear anything I like. I'm stuck in AM world for now, 760 AM and 1390 AM.

Update: Cousin Brucie has signed on with Sirius Satellite Radio! He now has a national music and talk program. Congrats!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home