Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Bush Ratchets Up Fight Against Stem Cell Research

posted by John Blanco @ 10:44 AM

 

Think Progress » Bush Ratchets Up Fight Against Stem Cell Research

This is priceless:

Today President Bush announced that he plans to veto any legislation that would loosen restrictions on embryonic stem cell research:

I’ve made it very clear to the Congress that the use of federal money, taxpayers’ money, to promote science which destroys life in order to save life – I’m against that. And therefore if the bill does that, I will veto it.

That’s strange. When he’s talking about the death penalty, President Bush says he likes policies that destroy life in order to save it:

I have been supportive of the death penalty, both as governor and President. … And I happen to believe that the death penalty, when properly applied, saves lives of others.

So, let’s get this straight: President Bush supports state-sanctioned killing because he “believes” that it will save lives, despite the multitude of studies showing that’s nonsense. And President Bush opposes research that could rescue millions from the living hell that is Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, spinal cord injury, stroke, etc., because he objects to “destroying” embryonic, in vitro stem cells that would have been discarded anyway.

Oh, and don’t forget, this mangled, convoluted logic is called “principled.” And it shows a committment to a “Culture of Life.”

My head hurts.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, from my point of view, this has been twisted to serve your point of view. Seeing as you are a Democrat, I'm sure you'll disagree with me. Just for a second, stop looking from the narrow eyes of 'John Blanco' and think of it from a different perspective. I don't claim to be Republican or Democrat, but I'm extremely PRO-LIFE. First of all, to say it's okay to use the stem cells from aborted babies is to condemn abortion itself. I'm sure you're aware, Bush is Pro-Life, so of course he can't condemn using stem cells from aborted fetuses. Second, killing an innocent fetus that has never done any wrong is different from killing an adult that has murdered other people and will or might continue to harm or murder other people unless stopped. There's no comparison. Innocent......Guilty. I see no conflict with Bush's statements.

11:31 AM  
Blogger John Blanco said...

While I am a Democrat, this is just a clear contrasting of statements. I'm more loyal to country than party, so I won't unnecessarily "attack."

I welcome your feedback.

To be pro-life, is to be against the purposeful destruction of it. This view is distorted by your, and Bush's, belief that innocence/guilt creeps in.

What you're saying is that you're not pro-life, but rather anti-choice in regards to abortion.

I will correct you that stem cells have absolutely nothing to do with aborted babies. If you can refer to me to the source where you got that from, I'd appreciate it.

In the case of the recent stem cell bill that passed, these are cells that were essentially created in a petri dish and are scheduled to be destroyed. The plan is to use them for science instead.

They will never grow into a human because they are not fertilized. They are just cells. You might compare this to slicing off some skin from your thumb. Would someone adopt your shred of skin to save life?

These are not babies, just cells.

And, in the face of killing a convicted criminal, do note that there are several arguments against this. One is that our judicial system is biased towards the rich, and you can't be assured someone os truly guilty all the time. (Can't disagree.)

Keep in mind that not all Democrats are against the death-penalty. I have no problem with it when it's indubitable...take for instance the guy in Atlanta who went whacko and killed a bunch of people in the courthouse.

There's no denying it. He should fry.

But, I do have a problem with it when the evidence is circumstantial, or based on lone witnesses. You can't put someone to death if there's a chance that some evidence can come to light later.

And anyways, a life sentence is worse. Trust me.

The abortion argument is totally different from stem cells. I'd personally not choose abortion except in an extreme case (you know the list).

But, it's a complex issue, and I think everyone should come up with their own opinion on their own and have the choice. I won't decide for someone else.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home