Thursday, October 05, 2006

Fun With Power Tools

posted by John Blanco @ 9:42 AM

 

I have plenty of flaws, but I've never had a problem with confidence.

I think I developed a great, positive attitude by playing my brother in Nintendo for years as a kid. We're both ultra-competitive. Not the sore-winnery type, I mean the Brett Farve type competitiveness. We always wanted to win.

As the scrawnier of the two Blanco boys, sometimes our battles seemed fruitless. Take, for example, playing basketball in our driveway on Heights Drive in Yonkers, NY.

My brother was taller, stronger, quicker (I was a 215-pound heffer as a kid), and just plain better than me. We played a lot. I could never win.

But anyone who knows me canb probably guess my attitude for each game we played: I AM GOING TO WIN!

It would never happen, but I still fought tooth and nail, changing up my strategy and practicing as much as I could to finally beat him. And one day I did.

And the same has always applied in everything I do. I made a New Year's Resolution to solve a Rubik's Cube in under 2 minutes when I'd never solved it ever for crying out loud. Oh, and I played Afronova until I could AA it. ;-)

...

So why all this background? Because, I lost my confidence.

I *hate* power tools.

I spent 2 hours in my garage last night putting a cat door in our basement door. TWO HOURS. I don't have the right tools, and I can't use the tools I have correctly either.

And I couldn't glue the black plates to the door.

And it took forver to cut a decent square in the door.

And I had to lean the door on my bike, hanging from the ceiling, because I don't have a workbench.

And I hate power tools...and always will.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mobat555 said...

yikes man. I guess if you ever need a real man to come over just give me a call...

9:52 AM  
Blogger John Blanco said...

No thanks, dude, I don't swing that way.

No that there's anything wrong with it. Not at all...

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home