Sunday, July 09, 2006

John Blanco: Ruby Guy?

posted by John Blanco @ 3:09 PM

 

So, a friend of mine (who will go unnamed) comes up with a great idea for an in-car system -- which I parlay into a software idea -- and whilst I try to convince him that we must join together to create it, I've been trying to determine which technologies to use.

On the UI side, I determined to give Ruby on Rails a try. Ruby is infamously known to me as the "black plague" of InsureWorx. We've lost no less than 3 developers to Ruby jobs already, and there are still other contaminated developers. :-)

So, I've spent a part of the weekend going through the How-To Ruby tutorials. The Ruby language seems great...lots of unique paradigms and it has a true Perl ethic. Ruby on Rails, the Web add-on for it, looks sadistic, but very nice. :-)

So, I'm going all in on this Ruby thing. The prototype of this new system may even go without a server, which would be huge, because it will allow me to only need Ruby and a database. No triple tier mayhem for me!

Now, if I can just convince this guy he needs to be the MySQL junkie. :-)

You know who you are, bud...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home