Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Random Acts of Kindness

posted by John Blanco @ 8:09 AM

 

So, yesterday, I went to H&R Block, for the first time, to get some information on how to file my estimated taxes. This is different from the normal yearly filings -- which I'd already done myself.

I walk in and meet a woman named Janet who will be helping me. She helps me with the 1040-ES form and actually has some questions herself about it which she researches. She prints off vouchers, forms, and instructions for me. She reassures me how to get them done. We spent 45 minutes going over it.

Done, we get up and meander to the front. I literally have my wallet out, but she's making no overture to ring me up. Finally, at a lull in conversation, I ask, "Do I pay here?"

She shakes her hand at me and says, "No, no, you're fine..." The woman charged me nothing. I asked if she was sure and she said, "Oh, I had nothing else to do." Perplexing, but I thanked her immensely. :-)

...

Having said that, my checkbook is under assault by the federal government! I owe taxes, estimated taxes, car registration costs, and then I don't even want to know what the hospital bill will be for Cedric. It'll be good times for a couple months til we get the ship righted again -- but I know we're not alone in the burst of costs attributable to a new child.

It's all worth it after all. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home