Sunday, January 29, 2006

Avatara is Dead. Long live Avatara.

posted by John Blanco @ 1:27 PM

 

Bleeeearg!

OK, Michele just went out to get some air and relieve some stresses. I'm sure she'll blog her side as well. But basically, m stress is with Avatara...it's been killing me lately, and the last straw evolved this week.

I was dawdling around in Flash on Tuesday, I think, when the thought occurred to me: "Why don't I do the Avatara client in Flash, not Java?"

Well, it's kind of a silly question when yer already well into implementing the client in Java Swing. But, still, there's a lot that would be so much easier -- even possible at all -- by using Flash.

The big question became, *can* I do the switch? That is, can Flash perform at a decent level to handle the processing, the networking, etc.

Ove this weekend, I determined that I *needed* to switch to Flash, but sadly, I also determined through prototyping that the game would have to change. I can't do a pure tile-based MMO, I'd have to change the semantics a bit.

So, right now, I'm just busted. I don't have the manpower to get Avatara done, but I don't have the opportunity to do it in a different way.

So, I'm going to check-in everything I have and give Avatara a nice break. In the meantime, I'm gonna work on another, smaller scale project, that may very well also be server-client. Maybe it will have a better chance.

But, for one thing, it will use Flash. :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home