Friday, August 26, 2005

Getting On (And To) the Line - The Beginning!

posted by John Blanco @ 11:06 PM

 



The night began with lots of adventure: actually getting there! I'd woken up at 5 AM so I could get to work an hour early, so I could leave an hour early. Apparently, it wasn't enough. Michele and I took the long trek to Boulder (we're in Littleton, much further south), and kept in contact with Vincen and Damon, friends who were en route and/or there already.

The party was to start at 6 PM, and we'd all kinda planned to get there at least a half-hour early. Michele and left the house at 4:15. We were just getting on I-25 and were looking for US-36 when Michele realized we'd missed it! Then, the phone rings:

"John, where are ya? I just got my number and I'm 186!"

They were only letting 400 in, and at 4:40, Vincen was already almost at the half-way mark! OH CRAP! On top of that, we were getting off the highway to make a U-turn, and we still had 12 miles to go! Could we miss it????

We turn around, and we're just getting on US-36 (8 miles to go now), when Vincen calls again:

"They're up to 226. Where are you?"

Well, here's too hoping US-36 ain't backed up!!!! Luckily, it wasn't, and we were bulleting, but I was terrified we'd miss out!

Off the highway, and Damon calls:

"I just got on line and I'm 305."

Fortunately, we'd just driven into the place and were looking to park! So we were safe! WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We ended up with numbers 340 and 341. We were in!!!

...

The line was huge. It wrapped around the building. I'd have to say that soon after we got there, they had to run out of numbers...and we were there at 5:20! I couldn't believe that it was sold out 40 minutes before the event. But what else would one expect: A FREE birthday party, in the most liberal city in the country, Randi Rhodes attending, Barry Crimmons attending, Jay Marvin attending, Nina Storey performing, free food, free drinks, and free entertainment!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home