Friday, July 23, 2004

The Forefront of Technology's Past

posted by John Blanco @ 12:26 PM

 

It's been my theme for the last several years. Due to legitimate adult responsibilities and a techno-world changing too quickly to keep up, I've been persistently a year or more behind on every Web trend.

Blogging no different.

So now I join the masses in something that we all have a passion for, even if we don't know it. I will blog my life. Apologies in advance.

So, a real quick recap on the last 27 years...

Born in Yonkers, New York. Very cute. Good kid. Moved to Florida. Moved back to New York. Grew up and went to high school wearing sweatpants rolled up to just below my knees. Picked on and too nice for my own good. Got with the program towards the end of high school and after a year of community college (hahahaha), went to Colorado State University in, ummm, Colorado.

I've been living out here since 1998. I met my wife, Michele, out here and we're happily married. :) Adopted a couple children (cats, really). I'm an l33t Software Developer by trade, and as we join me, I'm working at Taliant Software in Denver. I do Flash MX work here...maybe one day I'll move on to Java which has always been a dream, but a judging by the stress the EJB guys are under right now I think I'll play with Flash another year at least!

My main hobbies are chess and sports. Wait, chess is a sport! Anyone who disagrees lies!!! I run a chess club called the Littleton Chess Club (Littleton is where Michele and I live) and am in charge of mowing the lawn (ours, not the LCC's) once a week. I listen to all kinds of music (Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, PJ Harvey, Weird Al Yankovic...yeah, that's right) but to be a favorite movie of mine it must truly be bizarre (Mulholland Drive, Fargo, Boogie Nights, Eyes Wide Shut). Hmmm, OK it's only a coincidence that 3 of those movies have crazy sex scenes. OK, maybe not. OK, maybe.

It's 1:22 PM here and I'm listening to some Marilyn and running a Flash build on my machine. Taliant is crazy with Flash. I mean, I'm running a *build*. I still can't believe we have a codebase of tens of thousands of lines of code in Flash! I mean, it's not compiled. I mean, we're using ActionScript 1.0 for gosh sakes! Yet, somehow, the insanity of it all is the best part of the challenge. :)

So, holy crap, the Unit Test suite ran to completion, nearly flawlessly, and it's all because I had a config file pointing at the wrong directory before. WOW! Life rules sometimes.

See how simple my life is?

Get used to it...see ya next blog. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home